The University of Cape Town has been shutdown by the students led by the SRC on Tuesday. Below are the demands by the SRC to the Executive Management. Students disrupted classes on Tuesday afternoon at the Upper Campus before proceeding to Bremner to hand over a memorandum of demands to the Executive.
- The University must hold an emergency council meeting that will pronounce on 0% fee increment.
- The immediate release of the Fees Commission Report.
- An emergency Institutional Commission of Inquiry into all the deaths of students over the past 2-5 years that relate to suicide.
- Substantial Financial Report on expenditure on paramilitary services on the campus over the past two years.
- Clearance of Historical Debt for the year 2017 and no financial barriers to registration for the year 2018.
- Draft Framework that will address the residence and housing intake for the year 2018 for students who do not get residence offers particularly those in first year and those who have been denied residence next year.
SRC President said that they are considering marching to Parliament tomorrow ahead of Wednesday’s medium term budget policy to demand that the President release the Fees Commission. No final decision had been taken on this.