Cape Town – The state’s case against student leader Sapho Mahilihili has been withdrawn.
Mahilihili made a brief appearance at the Bellville Magistrate Court on Wednesday after spending almost two weeks at the Goodwood Prison on charges of trespassing and malicious damage to property dating back to the 2015 #FeesMustFall protests. His first appearance was postponed for today to allow the state to verify his physical address.
The state prosecutor said that they would like the matter withdrawn, no reasons were put forward.
Advocate Daniel Zantsi, representing Mahilihili, said that that the state had no prospects of a successful prosecution as the matter had been dormant for quite some time.
“What led to this was miscommunication between the Legal Aid attorney and Mahilihili. There was no case that could be borne out of the warrants that were issued. My client was arrested on the very premises he was accused to have committed the alleged crimes, so he had no intentions of deliberately evading justice,” said Zantsi.
Mahilihili is expected to be released from the holding cells during lunchtime.