Idyunivesithi yase Witwatersrand ibhengeze ukuba uNjingalwazi Zeblon Vilakazi uzakuba lisekela ntloko kwane nqununu entsha yedyunivesithi. UVilakazi uzakungena ezihlangwini zika Adam Habib ukusukela ngomhla wokuqala kwinyanga yoMqungu kunyaka ozayo.
Lo ka Vilakazi okwangoku usebenza kule dyunivesithi njenge sekela nqununu, kwizifundo zophando.
UAdam Habib uzakushiya esikhundleni sakhe ekupheleni kwalo nyaka, esingise kwelaMangesi.
Eli ziko lezemfundo limchaze uVilakazi njengalowo ogqwesileyo kwizifundo zophando naku msebenzi we nzululwazi-nobuchwepheshe. Kwaye lithe liya themba ukuba ukuzakuthatha eli ziko alibeke kwilinye inqanaba.
UZeblon Vilakazi uthe uyazingca ngokuba lisekela ntloko elitsha le dyunivesithi yase Witwatersrand.
Amanqaku amafutshane ngobomi buka Zeblon Vilakazi:
• UZeblon Zenzele Vilakazi wazalelwa kwilokishi yase Katlehong, uye wathweswa isidanga soba yiNjingalwazi kwi dyunivesithi yase Witwatersrand ngonyaka ka 1998.
• Uye waba ngomye wabafundi bokuqala kwilizwekazi lase Afrika uyokwenza uphando kwizifundo zobugqirha phesheya eSwitzerland.
• Uthe ukubuya kwakhe phesheya wafundisa kwi dyunivesithi yase Kapa.
• Ngonyaka ka 2010 uye wakhethwa yi World Economic Forum njenge nkokheli encici kumhlaba jikelele.
• Ngonyaka ka 2014 uye wayesebenza kwi dyunivesithi yase Wits apho uye waba yintloko kwizifundo zophando, kulo nyaka uye wanyuselwa njenge sekela nqununu.
• Ngethuba esebenza eWits uye wazibandakanya kakhulu kuphando lwe Nuclear Energy. Uye wabeka le dyunivesithi ukuquka abafundi kwizinga eliphezulu kwezaphando.
• Unjingalwazi Vilakazi ukwalilo nelungu le Advisory Committee for Nuclear Physics kwiziko le Nuclear kwelamaRashiya.
Top nuclear physicist to lead Wits
Wits University has a new vice-chancellor. On June 25, the university announced professor Zeblon Vilakazi will take over the position from Adam Habib from January 1 2021. Habib announced his resignation from Wits in February. This after he was offered the position of the head of the School of Oriental and African Studies in London.
Vilakazi is the current vice-principal and deputy vice-chancellor for research and postgraduate studies at Wits. He will relinquish this position once he takes over the VC position.
The university said Professor Zeblon Vilakazi is the epitome of a world-class researcher who is globally recognised for his scientific work, and for his contribution towards developing higher education in Africa. He is a truly talented individual who is an inspiring exemplar for all Africans.
“It is an honour for me to have been appointed to this prestigious position,”said Professor Vilakazi.
Brief Biography of Professor Zeblon Vilakazi:
• Born in Katlehong, a township located on the East Rand, Professor Vilakazi obtained his PhD from Wits 1998.
• He was one of the first students from Africa to conduct PhD research at the European Centre for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Geneva, Switzerland. This was followed by a National Research Foundation postdoctoral fellowship at CERN.
• Upon his return to South Africa he lectured at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
• In 2010, Professor Vilakazi was nominated by the World Economic Forum as a Young Global Leader.
• Professor Zeblon Zenzele Vilakazi joined Wits in January 2014 as the Deputy Vice-Chancellor: Research and Postgraduate Affairs and was promoted to the position of Vice-Principal in April 2020.
• He has served as the Group Executive for Research and Development at the Nuclear Energy Corporation of South Africa (NECSA) and as the Director of iThemba Labs. He increased the number of postgraduate students to realise the University’s vision of becoming a research-intensive African university.
• Professor Vilakazi is currently a member of the Programme Advisory Committee for Nuclear Physics at the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Russia.